WASHINGTON, D.C. (March 4, 2019) – Howard University will be closed starting Saturday, March 9, 2019, and will reopen on Monday, March 18, 2019. The campus closure provides an opportunity for our students, faculty and staff to get a well-needed break. It also allows for the University to conduct renovations and refurbishment of facilities.
What to Expect
- Renovations will be conducted at the Blackburn Center.
- On March 11-15, the replacement of the cooling tower at Childers Hall will take place. The parking lot at Childers Hall will be closed to facilitate the crane lifts.
- Campus-wide cleaning and grounds maintenance will occur.
- Enterprise Technology Services (ETS) will conduct scheduled maintenance over the break, which will result in planned disruptions to IT-related services.
- Transportation shuttle service will be suspended.
- All buildings will be secured and locked.
- Unless designated as an essential employee, employees are not expected to travel to Howard University to work.
- DPS will provide continuous safety/security coverage and building access to permitted employees during the closure.
- Physical Facilities Management (PFM) maintenance and services will continue to respond to urgent situations and emergencies as work orders are submitted, but only to buildings to which access was granted or for which renovations were planned.
- The iLab and ETS Help Desk will be closed, however, ETS personnel will be on standby for emergency IT-related issues.
- WHUR-FM and WHUT-TV will continue their regular programming schedules.
- Howard University Hospital will remain open.
- The Faculty Practice Plan will remain open.
- The Medical School will continue its scheduled hours of operation.
- Veterinary Services will provide required services.
- Mail services will operate on a normal schedule.
- The Law Library will be open Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., and closed on Saturday and Sunday.
- The Howard University Bookstore will operate on the following modified schedule:
- Sunday: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Monday through Wednesday: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Thursday: Closed for Inventory
- Friday: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Saturday: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
About Howard University
Founded in 1867, Howard University is a private, research university that is comprised of 13 schools and colleges. Students pursue studies in more than 120 areas leading to undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University operates with a commitment to Excellence in Truth and Service and has produced four Rhodes Scholars, 11 Truman Scholars, two Marshall Scholars, one Schwarzman Scholar, over 70 Fulbright Scholars and 22 Pickering Fellows. Howard also produces more on-campus African-American Ph.D. recipients than any other university in the United States. For more information on Howard University visit www.howard.edu