Home » BLOG » Colonel Abrams has Died
Deaths 2016 Uncategorized

Colonel Abrams has Died

rffocus.com, Colonel Abrams
’ Shaila and Colonel Abrams during a celebration to raise money for him in Jan of 2016

While scrolling through FaceBook with everyone sharing pictures of their fried turkeys and sweet potato pies, I saw a FB Live post from one of my Facebook Friends Caryn Lee (from Interscope) that really caught my attention. She asked that people remember those who are alone for Thanksgiving and may need to hear from someone. As I took time out to do exactly that on Thanksgiving day, she was right. You never know what people are going through or if you will ever see them again.  I will extend her wishes and ask Radio Facts readers to do the same, reach out to an old industry friend that you have not talked to in a while and say hello. It might mean the world to them.

Radio Facts is sad to report the death of music’s Colonel Abrams. The singer best known for his smash singles “Trapped” and “Not Gonna Let” succumbed to various ailments on Thanksgiving night. He was 67. He had been very ill and struggling to the point of homelessness financially for quite some time. KUDOS to WBLS for holding a fundraiser in his name this past January. N0 details on services yet.

We have heard these stories way too many times in the and .  It is my goal in 2017 to find a way to use Radio Facts to teach today’s singers and industry people about finance. If you have any suggestions let me know. 2016 has been a very shocking year for celebrity deaths. See the list here.

Don’t miss Billie Eilish’s exclusive concert in Los Angeles for SiriusXM & Pandora

Aaron Hodges

Dave Matthews to perform exclusive acoustic set in Los Angeles for SiriusXM & Pandora

SiriusXM Editors

Fantasy Footballers and SiriusXM Team Up For Exclusive New Show

Andy Burns

Omarosa Dishes on Trump with DISH Nation

Hassahn Liggins

Delivery from Whole Foods Market Begins with Amazon

Jimi Hendrix Album Out March 9 “Both Sides of the Sky” Completing the Trilogy Started with Valleys of Neptune and People, Hell and Angels

Marie November 26, 2016 at 8:54 pm

Rest in Peace Colonel Abrams.Thank you for the music.PS I had such a crush,loved those dancing bowed legs in the videos.You will be missed.Peaceful journey Brother?????

Anonymous November 27, 2016 at 3:14 am

Me too. Sorry to hear the sad struggle he went through after giving us such great musical memories.

CKMT 7 November 27, 2016 at 3:26 am

RIP Colonel! Survival Tip # 1 NEVER sell your publishing! Take less money upfront. Never forget Industry Rule # 4080… RECORD COMPANY PEOPLE ARE SHADY!!!! #ATCQ

Guntoter November 27, 2016 at 7:50 am

CKMT 7 you are on the money 110%

Mary Burns November 27, 2016 at 4:58 am

Its not about teaching finance its about calling out the thieving DJs and labels. Its about people respecting copyrights and supporting the artists products. He wouldnt have been batteling homelessness if he was getting paid for the use. The blood is on the scenes hands once again

anonymous for now November 27, 2016 at 5:07 am

It is very very sad and unfortunately a routine pattern that we have seen for decades from Bill Bojangles Robinson to Joe Louis to the countless recording artists that retire and transition penniless. The music industry more so with its myriad of revenue streams become a shyster’s paradise. Artists don’t stand a chance and are to easily blinded by the fame. All the while, being distracted and lied to as they are being led to a sacrificial alter of decadence and the house of financial slaughter. As an ex music executive turned investment banker and financial adviser my wish is that I could help every single one of them. Love to talk about a realistic plan that we can share that can to begin to help some artists before it is too late. Look forward to hearing form you!

Ronald Simmons November 27, 2016 at 5:21 am

Colonel was our band’s spokesman in the 1970’s. My first time playing jazz music was with Colonel. We played a piece entitled ” Maiden Voyage” which Colonel played the keyboard on Herbie Hancock’s Grammy award winning song. Colonel will be missed. Ken Webb( New York DJ WBLS) and I was suppose to visit him this past summer however I became ill and couldn’t make it. He was a unique ,creative and fun person.

Anonymous November 27, 2016 at 8:18 am

Rest In Peace The Real Colonel I Still Hear Your Music In My Ears!

Lil Hurt November 27, 2016 at 10:09 am

I wish there was a fund that the singers put into that would prevent homelessness amongst there own. RIH Colonel.

Liz November 27, 2016 at 10:34 am

May the Colonel rest in God’s ever loving grace. Pls create a support system for these entertainers, who thru poor business jdgmnt, addictions, or the greed or disrespect of individuals such as their business mgrs/promoters are tossed aside because they are no longer in the top 100. I pledge to search and listen to all those 1 hit songs, and give thanks to those that sang, played instruments and/or wrote the song or music for it.

Anonymous November 27, 2016 at 10:39 am

Rip. To a Wonderful artist who will be missed. Many years ago he performed at Club 88 in Jersey He put on an Awesome Show. I will always remember his spirit and kindness when he greeted his fans. He appreciated us.. I’m sending Prayers to his family during this difficult time..Rest Well Colonel Abrams?

Lillian Fleming November 27, 2016 at 10:53 am

Ingrid Dark January 2, 2017 at 9:12 pm

Just sad to hear that Colonal Abrams has died i love his music i didnt know until this Day R.I.P. Colonial Abrams my condolences to his family I’m very Sad!!

Anonymous November 27, 2016 at 11:05 am

Thanks for the memories. Godspeed.

D. Tobago Benito November 27, 2016 at 12:49 pm

I remember seeing him at the Paradise Garage in Manhattan back in the 80’s. He took house music to the next level. I still to this day workout to his music on my phone and was discussing with my wife about bringing him to perform in Atlanta. However we couldn’t find his location. I wanted to bring him and Gwen Guthrie. I’m really sad he past. He was my favorite house artist. He will be missed, may he rest in piece.

Ricky November 27, 2016 at 2:00 pm

What is going on. We have lost a lot good artists this year. Colonel Abrahams was a true legend. His music will live on

Guntoter November 27, 2016 at 4:11 pm

Rest in perfect peace Colonel Abrams. I plan to reorder his cd tomorrow.

Andromeda International Records November 28, 2016 at 11:10 am

How prophetic right now are these words for me: “As the tears roll from my eyes, I feel the hurt inside…I am so confused.” When I moved to LA to work at MCA Records, the Colonel had just exploded with MCA taking over this Streetwise Records single, “Trapped,” followed by “I’m Not Gonna Let.” MCA even went so far to make one of the then new music laserdiscs of the “Colonel Abrams” album, which included his (3) music videos. Years later, when I was at Zoo Records, I was approached by a Scotti Brothers radio promo rep who informed me they had signed the Colonel, who said he wanted to do a duet with Zoo’s new artist via Philadelphia International distribution deal, the one and only Miss Phyllis Hyman; needless to say the duet did not happen and it would have been one of the greatest music pairings of all time. Like Phyllis, the Colonel could bare his soul in song, especially on “Leave The Message Behind The Door” (Streetwise Records), a masterpiece, his signature song that NO ONE can ever touch; Mr. Colonel Abrams, my inner and outer tears are falling, I can’t bring myself to say goodbye because your music represents a special and happy time in my life. I love you, bro. Sending much love to the Colonel’s family and friends, as well as those, like me, who were all touched by a VOICE which will never be silenced due to all the musical treasures in song that the Colonel left for us. The Colonel is with Him now and wrapped in perfect love and glory. Colonel Abrams lives…Mark Matlock/Andromeda International Records

Michael Savitch November 28, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Colonel Abrams’s to me was the “King of House Music,” I remembered how I played his albums until they were wore out; his rich, masculine, and baritone vocals was delicious ear candy for anyone who listened. Sadly, another pillar of the music world, gone too soon. Sleep well my brother.

Hunnie 3000 November 29, 2016 at 6:07 am

Will never forget all that energy and fiery personality! !!! I often wondered what he was up to/too!!!!

Karen November 29, 2016 at 6:28 am

My condolences go out to Colonel Abrams. I am so saddened by the news of his health taking a turn for the worse and no one there to advocate for his health recovering, so as to extend his life. I am also sorry to hear about his financial situation, but glad that he was given a fund raiser. He will be sorely missed. Thank You Colonel Abrams for the music you brought that made me dance. Kmad4peace

Wetalkradio.Wordpress.Com August 21, 2017 at 3:57 pm

Fine way of describing, and nice piece of writing
to obtain information on the topic of my presentation focus, which i am going to convey in college.

ms ve February 25, 2019 at 6:19 pm

Why is it 2019 and i’m just hearing about this, i’m so crushed not only did he die its the way he passed , tears are rolling because i lost my brother Nov 11 2016 same year the colonel died and it just brings back the hurt, i don’t know all that the colonel went through before his passing but i pray he is at peace now, blessings and hugs to the family ……….Tears